Re: IO errors after "block: remove bio_get_nr_vecs()"

From: Artem S. Tashkinov
Date: Mon Dec 21 2015 - 23:06:16 EST

On 2015-12-21 10:23, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That said, we obviously need to figure out this current problem
regardless first..

... although maybe it *would* be interesting to hear what happens if
you just compile a 64-bit kernel instead?

Under x86-64 I cannot reproduce this problem. It seems like it's PAE specific (Kent Overstreet says he has reproduced it).

Do you still see the problem? Because if not, then we should look very
specifically for some 32-bit PAE issue.

For example, maybe we use "unsigned long" somewhere where we should
use "phys_addr_t". On x86-64, they obviously end up being the same. On
normal non-PAE x86-32, they are also the same. But ..

Linus