RE: [OOPS] BUG_ON in cgroups on 4.4.0-rc5-next

From: Alex Ng (LIS)
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 15:40:37 EST

> Hello, Alex.
>
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:08:03PM +0000, Alex Ng (LIS) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was running a "git clone" of the linux-next source tree and hit the
> following BUG_ON condition. My box is running kernel 4.4.0-rc5-next-
> 20151217-52.27. Any ideas on how to pin down the cause?
> >
> > The trace indicates that the following condition in compare_css_sets()
> triggered the oops:
>
> Can you please let me know the steps to reproduce the bug?

I tried this on a Hyper-V VM hosted in Windows Server 2012R2 and ran the attached script.
The script clones the linux-next tree in a random directory under /tmp in a tight loop.

This panic is not always reproducible, and I have only hit it once after running the script about 10 times. A different kernel panic happens each time I run this script; and the panics always happen during the first iteration of the loop.

Hope this helps,
Alex