Linux 4.4-rc4 regression, bisected to "net: fix sock_wake_async() rcu protection"

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Dec 30 2015 - 06:18:38 EST

On recent v4.4-rc releases, I can't run emacs. No, really, running
"emacs" in a GNOME 3 session makes gnome-shell think that emacs is
running, but no window is drawn, and the overall system UI is a bit
weird when the invisible emacs window is focused.

This is 100% reproducible.

There might be other symptoms involving gdb malfunctioning, but those
are, at best, sporadic. The emacs failure is entirely reliable. I
have no idea what the underlying failure mode is, but failure to wake
a socket waiter seems plausible, I also have no idea why oocalc,
gimp, vim, gedit, firefox, etc aren't affected.

A somewhat unorthodox "git bisect" run blames:

commit ceb5d58b217098a657f3850b7a2640f995032e62