Re: new cmdline parameter disable_cpu_features= (microcode update?)

From: Piotr DÄbrowski
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 19:27:52 EST

Thank you for your reply.

> You cannot change the microcode patches - they're supplied by the CPU
> vendors as is and are signed/encrypted.

Is the microcode's header encrypted too?
I thought there are two Processor Flags fields ('pf') available [1].
Are they what I think they are?
Is the header signed too, or only the actual microcode blob below the
headers is?
Sorry if I get it all wrong and there is no use for further discussion.

Do you think there is any point in actually implementing the
kernel-only disable_cpu_features= option upstream
and then somehow convince the userland to respect flags reported by
the kernel instead of those from the CPU?

[1] arch/x86/include/asm/microcode_intel.h:
struct microcode_header_intel {
unsigned int hdrver;
unsigned int rev;
unsigned int date;
unsigned int sig;
unsigned int cksum;
unsigned int ldrver;
unsigned int pf;
unsigned int datasize;
unsigned int totalsize;
unsigned int reserved[3];
};
[...]
/* microcode format is extended from prescott processors */
struct extended_signature {
unsigned int sig;
unsigned int pf;
unsigned int cksum;