Re: [RFC/PATCH] perf report: Show random usage tip on the help line

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Jan 05 2016 - 15:52:55 EST

> Btw, does anyone have some tips to add? :)

Use perf script to show individual samples
Use perf report --percent-limit 5 to only show entires above 5%
Use perf record -b -g / perf report --branch-history to show branch events
Use perf record -b / perf report to show branch mispredictions
Use perf report -M intel to show Intel style assembler
Use perf report --sort srcfile to sort by source file
Use perf report --sort symbol,srcline to sort by source line
Use perf record -e '{cycles,cache-misses}:S' / perf report --group to associate events
Use perf mem record / perf mem report for memory address profiling
Use perf stat -I 1000 to count events in intervals
Use perf stat -I 1000 -x, to count events and output as CSV
Use perf timechart record / report to generate high level time line
Use perf probe --add kfunc / perf record -e kfunc to trace a custom trace point

You may also want to adapt some of Brendan's one liners:

http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.