Re: x86/microcode update on systems without INITRD

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 06:18:59 EST

Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 01:36:00PM +0100, Thomas Voegtle wrote:
>> Attached. It is a little bit unusual config without modules etc.
>
> Ok, I see it.
>
> Please do a proper patch explaining why we're changing "depends on" to
> "select" and we can try it, see who complains then and why.

Neither "depends on" nor "select" makes sense to me here. The driver
apparently works without it, and simply having BLK_DEV_INITRD enabled
doesn't prevent improper (according to some people) use of the driver.
If updating microcode is inherently unsafe when a real disk is mounted,
the driver ought to detect this and refuse the operation (possibly with
an override option).

--
Måns Rullgård