RE: System "hangs" on kernels > v4.4-rc1 - mpt2sas problem?

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 13:42:51 EST

> We're not quite out of the woods yet: dracut should have seen this
> automatically because of the module alias bindings. Is your system
> somehow unusual and you don't expect the initrd automatic module
> selection to work? If not, could you help us debug why it didn't?

I saw the same problem building a 4.4-rc* kernel on a RHEL7.2
and SLES12-SP1 system.

My build process is in both cases is:
$ tar xf linux-...
$ cd linux...
$ cp /boot/config-xyzzy .
$ yes "" | make oldconfig
$ make -j 100
$ su
# make -j 100 modules_install && make install

What sort of features of a system might be considered "unusual"?
This looks a very simple system ... just one disk controller with two
drive bays occupied.

Let me know if you'd like run any topology reporting commands.

-Tony