Re: linux-next: strange commit in the parisc-hd tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Mon Jan 11 2016 - 17:33:03 EST

Hi Helge,

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:46:48 +0100 Helge Deller <deller@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10.01.2016 23:28, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:
> >
> > 43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")
> >
> > which among other things says:
> >
> > This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.
>
> Right, I split it up into two.

Good idea.

> > [...] Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.
>
> Sure, I just removed it now.

Thanks.

> > Delibeately introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
> > in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit antisocial.
>
> That was in no way my intention.
> In contrary, I wanted to see if other platforms are affected by the same bug without knowing.
> Do you by any chance know if it broke some of the existing platforms?
> If yes, that would be valuable info...

No, because I took it out of linux-next yesterday. It is more a timing
thing, if you had done that a few weeks ago, I would have just reported
any build errors and continued on, but just before the merge window
opens we don;t need the distraction. Also, if you can create another
branch and give it to the zero day build farm, you should get better
feed back.

Also, linux-next is not supposed to contain patches without a
Signed-off-by ...
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx