Re: [RFC] perf record: missing buildid for callstack modules

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Tue Jan 12 2016 - 09:38:15 EST

Em Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 02:40:12PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 01:18:05PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > Well, it really is rather a rare case, replacing binaries you're
> > > profiling. Sure, if it happens (by accident or otherwise) it can be a
> > > pain, but the cost of fixing this 'problem' is huge.
> >
> > But isn't this the common case for developers, who rebuild their binaries all the
> > time, while profiling them? Looking at the wrong profile without having an
> > indication that it's wrong is a problem.
>
> I tend to:
>
> 1:
> edit code
> compile code
> (perf) run code
> inspect profile
> goto 1
>
> which does not have this problem at all. Only if you want to inspect
> 'old' profiles does this problem occur.
>
> > > On my system that pass takes longer than the actual workload (of building a
> > > kernel). Furthermore, the resulting data is useless for me.
> >
> > Hm, that's a powerful performance argument. Why is it so slow? I'd assume that by
> > default we only need to save the build-ID itself per object - which is like 20
> > bytes?
>
> There is no buildid in the recorded data, I think it looks at every MMAP
> record, finds the associated file, extracts the buildid and copies crap
> into .debug directory.

$ perf record -h build

Usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]

-B, --no-buildid do not collect buildids in perf.data
-N, --no-buildid-cache
do not update the buildid cache

[acme@zoo linux]$

> Also, just parsing the gigabytes of data that comes out of perf-record
> takes significant time, let alone poking around the filesystem and

Right, that is what we would elliminate with stashing the content-based
cookie into a PERF_RECORD_MMAP3 record.

> copying files around.
>
> Furthermore, I have 40 CPUs generating data, while only a single one is
> doing all this post-processing.
>
> # rm -rf ~/.debug/
> # make O=defconfig-build/ clean; perf record make O=defconfig-build/ -j80 -s
> # ls -lah perf.data
> -rw------- 1 root root 2.7G Jan 12 14:18 perf.data
> # du -sh ~/.debug/
> 240M /root/.debug/
>
> That's a lot of pointless work.

Right, for you -B is the only sane way (or doing that in ~/.perfconfig
and disabling this for good).

BTW, mtime would incur in postprocessing it all.

- Arnaldo