Re: [RFC 1/3] oom, sysrq: Skip over oom victims and killed tasks

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 05:12:30 EST

On Thu 14-01-16 13:51:16, David Rientjes wrote:
> I think it's time to kill sysrq+F and I'll send those two patches
> unless there is a usecase I'm not aware of.

I have described one in the part you haven't quoted here. Let me repeat:
: Your system might be trashing to the point you are not able to log in
: and resolve the situation in a reasonable time yet you are still not
: OOM. sysrq+f is your only choice then.

Could you clarify why it is better to ditch a potentially usefull
emergency tool rather than to make it work reliably and predictably?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs