Re: [RFC 8/8] Do not reclaim the whole CPU bandwidth

From: luca abeni
Date: Tue Jan 26 2016 - 07:52:33 EST

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:50:04 +0100
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > >So the alternative is an explicit SCHED_OTHER server which is
> > >configurable.
> > Yes, I have thought about something similar (actually, this is the
> > strategy I implemented in my first CBS/GRUB scheduler. With the
> > "old" 2.4 scheduler, this was easier :).
> > But I think the solution I implemented in this patch is much
> > simpler (it just requires a very simple modification to
> > grub_reclaim()) and is more elegant from the theoretical point of
> > view.
>
> It is certainly simpler, agreed.
>
> The trouble is with interfaces. Once we expose them we're stuck with
> them. And from that POV I think an explicit SCHED_OTHER server (or a
> minimum budget for a slack time scheme) makes more sense.
I am trying to work on this.
Which kind of interface is better for this? Would adding something like
/proc/sys/kernel/sched_other_period_us
/proc/sys/kernel/sched_other_runtime_us
be ok?

If this is ok, I'll add these two procfs files, and store
(sched_other_runtime / sched_other_period) << 20 in the runqueue field
which represents the unreclaimable utilization (implementing
hierarchical SCHED_DEADLINE/CFS scheduling right now is too complex for
this patchset... But if the exported interface is ok, it can be
implemented later).

Is this approach acceptable? Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

Thanks,
Luca