Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] VM containers

From: Vladimir Davydov
Date: Wed Jan 27 2016 - 10:48:50 EST

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:11:21PM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:56:15AM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > I am trying to gauge interest in discussing VM containers at the LSF/MM
> > summit this year. Projects like ClearLinux, Qubes, and others are all
> > trying to use virtual machines as better isolated containers.
> >
> > That changes some of the goals the memory management subsystem has,
> > from "use all the resources effectively" to "use as few resources as
> > necessary, in case the host needs the memory for something else".
>
> I would be very interested in discussing this topic, because I think
> the issue is more generic than these VM applications. We are facing
> the same issues with regular containers, where aggressive caching is
> counteracting the desire to cut down workloads to their bare minimum
> in order to pack them as tightly as possible.
>
> With per-cgroup LRUs and thrash detection, we have infrastructure in

By thrash detection, do you mean vmpressure?

> place that could allow us to accomplish this. Right now we only enter
> reclaim once memory runs out, but we could add an allocation mode that
> would prefer to always reclaim from the local LRU before increasing
> the memory footprint, and only expand once we detect thrashing in the
> page cache. That would keep the workloads neatly trimmed at all times.

I don't get it. Do you mean a sort of special GFP flag that would force
the caller to reclaim before actual charging/allocation? Or is it
supposed to be automatic, basing on how memcg is behaving? If the
latter, I suppose it could be already done by a userspace daemon by
adjusting memory.high as needed, although it's unclear how to do it
optimally.

> For virtualized environments, the thrashing information would be
> communicated slightly differently to the page allocator and/or the
> host, but otherwise the fundamental principles should be the same.
>
> We'd have to figure out how to balance the aggressiveness there and
> how to describe this to the user, as I can imagine that users would
> want to tune this based on a tolerance for the degree of thrashing: if
> pages are used every M ms, keep them cached; if pages are used every N
> ms, freeing up the memory and refetching them from disk is better etc.

Sounds reasonable. What about adding a parameter to memcg that would
define ws access time? So that it would act just like memory.low, but in
terms of lruvec age instead of lruvec size. I mean, we keep track of
lruvec ages and scan those lruvecs whose age is > ws access time before
others. That would protect those workloads that access their ws quite,
but not very often from streaming workloads which can generate a lot of
useless pressure.

Thanks,
Vladimir