Re: [RFC v2 0/6] Track RCU dereferences in RCU read-side critical sections

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Mar 01 2016 - 04:57:20 EST

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:32:42PM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> > One could for example allow something like:
> >
> > rcu_read_lock();
> > rcu_annotate(&var->field);
> >
> > foo();
> >
> > rcu_read_unlock();
> >
> > As an alternative to the syntax suggested by Ingo. This would allow
> > keeping the existing rcu_read_lock() signature so you don't have to
> > force update the entire kernel at once, while also (easily) allowing
> > multiple variables. Like:
> >
> > rcu_read_lock();
> > rcu_annotate(&var->field);
> > rcu_annotate(&var2->field2);
> >
> > You can then have a special rule that if a particular RCU section has an
> > annotation, any rcu_dereference() not matched will field a warning. If
> > the annotation section is empty, nothing.
> >

> Good idea! but I don't think annotating a field in C language is easy,
> I will try to see what we can get. Do you have something already in your
> mind?

No, didn't really think about that :-/ The most restrictive version is
taking the absolute address, but that would make things like actual data
structures impossible.

> > > I think what you mean here is, for example, the case where we use
> > > preempt_disable() instead of rcu_read_lock_sched() to pair with
> > > synchronize_sched(), right?
> >
> > No, I was more like:
> >
> > rcu_read_lock();
> > foo()
> > bar()
> > var->func();
> > obj->func();
> > whatever();
> >
> > and you're looking at a change to whatever() and wonder where the heck
> > the corresponding rcu_read_lock() lives and if we're having it held at
> > all.
> >

> Confused.. RCU_LOCKED_ACCESS has such information, For example, in the
> piece of /proc/locked_access/rcu I put in the cover letter, which I will
> put in the commit logs for the next version of this series:

Yes, but my point was that if it wasn't obvious from the code, your code
has issues. You should not be needing a tool to figure this out.