Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Mon Mar 07 2016 - 03:49:03 EST

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 12:29:08AM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 11:29:37PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> >
> > I converted one of the big tables to CSV. At least now it recognized
> > it as a table. Yet, the table was very badly formated:
> > https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi-docs-test/rst_tests/packed-rgb.html
> >
> > This is how this table should look like:
> > https://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/packed-rgb.html
> >
> > Also, as this table has merged cells at the legend. I've no idea how
> > to tell sphinx to do that on csv format.
> >
> > The RST files are on this git tree:
> > https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/v4l2-docs-poc.git/
>
> Yeah, seems it can't do merged cells in csv. Attached patch converts it
> back to grid table format and fixes the table definition.
> The html output looks usable, but clearly it is no fun to
> work with tables in Sphinx.
>
> Sphinx' latex writer can't handle nested tables, though.
> Python's docutils rst2latex can, but that doesn't help here.
> rst2pdf also supports it. But I have doubts such a large
> table would render OK in pdf without using landscape orientation.
> I have not tried because I used python3-sphinx but rst2pdf
> is only availble for Python2 in Debian so it does not integrate
> with Sphinx.

Just a quick idea:
Perhaps one alternative would be to use Graphviz to render
the problematic tables, it supports a HTML-like syntax
and can be embedded in Spinx documents:

http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/ext/graphviz.html
http://www.graphviz.org/content/node-shapes#html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13890568/graphviz-html-nested-tables