BUG: VIA HD Audio sound card support regressed

From: Alexander Andrejevic
Date: Tue Mar 08 2016 - 21:04:48 EST

Hi,

A regression in the Intel HD Audio driver was introduced by commit
12daef65fd868cf30be5afe3e6be6689c44c7940 (2011-06-20 14:24:07 GMT).
Namely, a VIA VT1708-based card with the PCI ID 1106:3288 stopped working
entirely, even though no apparent error message is produced in the log by
the driver.
I've debugged this issue and determined that the card needs two additional
initialization verbs to be sent to it:

{0x26, AC_VERB_SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL, PIN_OUT}
{0x26, AC_VERB_SET_EAPD_BTLENABLE, 0x02}

However, I don't know whether this applies to all VT1708-based cards (it
most likely doesn't), nor how would they be affected by these additional
commands, so I'm not sure how to properly patch this issue myself.
Perhaps the correct way to do it is to add an SND_PCI_QUIRK for this card?

Regards,
Alex

NOTE: I'm not subscribed to the Linux Kernel Mailing List, so please CC your
replies to my e-mail address.