Re: Variant symlink filesystem

From: Cole
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 17:03:22 EST

On 11 March 2016 at 23:51, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:52:52PM +0200, Cole wrote:
>
>> The implementation doesn't necessarily have to continue to work with
>> env variables. On FreeBSD, the variant symlinks function by using
>> variables stored in kernel memory, and have a hierarchical lookup,
>> starting with user defined values and terminating with global entries.
>> I am not aware of such functionality existing on linux, but if someone
>> could point me at something similar to that, I would much prefer to
>> use that, as there are issues with variables that are exported or
>> modified during process execution.
>
> Put your processes into a separate namespace and use mount --bind in it...

This was one of the first solutions we looked at, and using various
namespaces. However we would like to be able to have multiple terminal
sessions open, and be able to have each session using a different
mount point, or be able to use the other terminals mount point, i.e.
switching the mount point to that of the other terminals. We would
also like the shell to be able to make use of these, and use shell
commands such as 'ls'.

When we originally looked at namespaces and containers, we could not
find a solution to achieve the above. Is this possible using
namespaces?

Regards
/Cole