Re: Variant symlink filesystem

From: Cole
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 17:31:57 EST

On 12 March 2016 at 00:24, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:03:11AM +0200, Cole wrote:
>
>> This was one of the first solutions we looked at, and using various
>> namespaces. However we would like to be able to have multiple terminal
>> sessions open, and be able to have each session using a different
>> mount point, or be able to use the other terminals mount point, i.e.
>> switching the mount point to that of the other terminals. We would
>> also like the shell to be able to make use of these, and use shell
>> commands such as 'ls'.
>>
>> When we originally looked at namespaces and containers, we could not
>> find a solution to achieve the above. Is this possible using
>> namespaces?
>
> I'd try to look at setns(2) if you want processes joinging existing namespaces.
> I'm afraid that I'll need to get some sleep before I'll be up to asking
> the right questions for figuring out what requirements do you have and
> what's the best way to do it - after a while coffee stops being efficient
> and I'm already several hours past that ;-/

Sure, not a problem, when you have time to reply I will gladly welcome
any feed back.

As for the usage, I'll explain it a bit so that you have something to
work off of when you get a chance to read it.

The problem we encountered with namespaces when we looked at it more
than a year ago was 'how do you get the shell' to join them, or into
one. And also how do you move the shell in one terminal session into a
namespace that another shell is currently in. We wanted a solution
that doesn't require modifying existing programs to make them
namespace aware. However, as I said, this was more than a year ago
that we looked at it, and we could easily have misunderstood
something, or not understood the full functionality available. If you
say this is possible, without modifying programs such as bash, could
you please point me in the direction of the documentation describing
this, and I will try to educate myself.

Thanks
/Cole