Re: Variant symlink filesystem

From: Cole
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 17:54:49 EST

On 12 March 2016 at 00:48, David Lang <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016, Cole wrote:

>>> I'd try to look at setns(2) if you want processes joinging existing
>>> namespaces.
>>> I'm afraid that I'll need to get some sleep before I'll be up to asking
>>> the right questions for figuring out what requirements do you have and
>>> what's the best way to do it - after a while coffee stops being efficient
>>> and I'm already several hours past that ;-/
>>

>> Sure, not a problem, when you have time to reply I will gladly welcome
>> any feed back.
>>
>> As for the usage, I'll explain it a bit so that you have something to
>> work off of when you get a chance to read it.
>>
>> The problem we encountered with namespaces when we looked at it more
>> than a year ago was 'how do you get the shell' to join them, or into
>> one. And also how do you move the shell in one terminal session into a
>> namespace that another shell is currently in. We wanted a solution
>> that doesn't require modifying existing programs to make them
>> namespace aware. However, as I said, this was more than a year ago
>> that we looked at it, and we could easily have misunderstood
>> something, or not understood the full functionality available. If you
>> say this is possible, without modifying programs such as bash, could
>> you please point me in the direction of the documentation describing
>> this, and I will try to educate myself.
>

> looking at the setns() function, it seems like you could have a suid helper
> program that you run in one session that changes the namespace and then
> invokes a bash shell in that namespace that you then run unmodified stuff
> in.
>
> it seems like there should be a way for a root program to change the
> namespace of another, but I'm not finding it at the moment.
>
> There is the nsenter program that will run a program inside an existing
> namespace. It looks like you need something similar that implements some
> permission checking (only let you go into namespaces of other programs for
> the same user or similar), but you should be able to make proof-of-concept
> scripts with nsenter.

Thank you very much for the explanation and links.

If I understand you correctly, you have described something similar to
how docker functions, with a single daemon that runs, and the various
support binaries make calls to it to perform the necessary functions.
The only concern as you mentioned is that there does not seem to be
any functionality available to move a process from one namespace to
another. However, the only process in my design that would need to do
that would be the shell, so nsenter might be sufficient.

I will look into your suggestions, as it then means I do not need to
have anything inlined into the kernel.

Thank you for all the help and advice.

Regards
/Cole