Re: DMAR error messages after 'shutdown -r'.

From: Joerg Roedel
Date: Wed Mar 16 2016 - 13:46:16 EST

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 04:41:57PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> lspci says:
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
>
> Not sure why I only see it on reboots - that means that when powering up, the kernel
> gets handed a device config it likes, but when rebooting, something is leaving the
> device in a config the kernel doesn't want to see.

Okay, so the BIOS defines one RMRR entry:

DMAR: RMRR base: 0x000000cdb11000 end: 0x000000cdb30fff

But the device-scope doesn't seem to match any existing devices in your
system. At least no device gets the RMRR mappings later on.

That doesn't really matter, as the the fault-address of 0xcdacd000 is
outside of the defined RMRR range anyway.

Looking at the fault-address as system physical, is would be in this
range of system memory:

BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000cd99b000-0x00000000ce3a0fff] reserved

Which is reserved for BIOS use. This looks very much like a missing RMRR
entry for that range, that has the sata controler in its device scope.

Joerg