Re: [GIT PULL v4.6] MDB Linux Kernel Debugger x86/x86_64

From: Joe Perches
Date: Fri Mar 18 2016 - 01:41:31 EST

On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 23:31 -0600, Jeffrey Merkey wrote:
> On 3/16/16, Jeffrey Merkey <jeffmerkey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > In general all commits should have a Signed-Off-By line added.  Once
> > > the git branch gets merged, it's hard to tell what is the final commit
> > > and what isn't, and in general different commits will have different
> > > people needing to vouch for the origins for the contents of that commit.
[]
> > I will repost this pull request with a signed-off by line for Linus to
> > consider.    I am not certain who all should be included in the review
> > and I have to be careful how many email recipients I copy.   I will
> > post to the folks Joe Perches copied.
[]
> Well, Joe updated checkpatch.pl so now there are some more areas of
> cleanup I need to do on the code to remove unsigned casts and replace
> them with unsigned int.  I will resubmit at the next merge window for
> 4.7.  Have not heard a word from Linus about this, Hey Linus, please
> don't lion-us by throwing us to the lions.  :-)

I rather doubt Linus is going to pull this code during
this merge window.

I think you should try to get this into -next immediately
after this current merge window closes in a 10 or so days.

I think you don't have to do random cleanups just to
satisfy checkpatch.  Get the code in -next and then
cleanup stuff as you see fit.  There will then be
individual commit changelogs for the mostly whitespace
changes that checkpatch might point out.