Re: 4.5.0+ panic when setup loop device

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Mar 18 2016 - 03:52:34 EST

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 05:11:54AM +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 10:52 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > Andreas; Borislav said to Cc you since you wrote all this.
> > The issue is that Linux assumes:
> >
> > > nr_logical_cpus = nr_cores * nr_siblings
>
> It also seems to now assume that if SMT is possible, it's enabled.

Urgh..

What I think, with my pre wakeup brain, happens is that the CPUID
topology muck still reports 2 siblings (it tends to do that).

But the BIOS only reports APIC-IDs for all your cores, so our
nr_cpu_ids is reduced, while the nr_siblings count it not.

And them *boom*.

This is the same old problem that is nearly impossible to tell if HT is
enabled or not -- complete and utter trainwreck :/

I need to go make wake-up-juice and ponder wth to do about this.