Re: intel_pstate oopses and lockdep report with Linux v4.5-1822-g63e30271b04c

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Mar 21 2016 - 10:07:16 EST

On Monday, March 21, 2016 10:31:37 AM Stephane Gasparini wrote:

> Steph
>

> > On Mar 18, 2016, at 10:44 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Stephane Gasparini
> > <stephane.gasparini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Steph

> >> Still it does not answer my question, why when implementing a4675fbc4a7a
> >> we did changed core for wrmsrl and not atom ?
> >
> > By mistake?
> >
> >> My point is that the issue was more due to a miss in the patch a4675fbc4a7a
> >> rather than a difference of behavior between atom and core.
> >
> > The issue is due to the fact that wrmsrl_on_cpu() is used in atom_set_pstate().
> >
> > Moreover, core_set_pstate() doesn't use wrmsrl_on_cpu(), so in fact it
> > is different from atom_set_pstate() in that respect.
> >
> > Now, why and when that difference was introduced doesn't really
> > matter. What matters is whether or not it makes sense and what to do
> > about it.
> >
> > To me, it doesn't make sense. wrmsrl() should be used on both Core
> > and Atom to update the MSR in intel_pstate_adjust_busy_pstate(). In
> > turn, wrmsrl_on_cpu() should be used by both of them on init/exit.
> > That's exactly what happens with my patch applied, with a twist that
> > on init/exit the P-state is always set to the minimum, so it is not
> > even necessary to pass the pstate argument between functions in that
> > case.
> >
> >> The commit message is a bit misleading around this.
> >> The wrmrl_on_cpu() is needed on both core and atom during init.
> >
> > Yes, it is, but how is that related to the changelog of this patch?
>
> Telling what you are saying in this email in answer to me would make the thing
> more clear IMO.
> 1) the error seen is a side effect of the previous change, so the issue
> was not existing before

That's moot.

Of course, you can argue that being inconsistent about using wmsrl_on_cpu()
vs wmsrl() was a bug by itself, but did it really lead to any user-visible
problems?

Honestly, I doubt it.

The issue has become visible after commit a4675fbc4a7a and that's the reason
for my patch.

> 2) the explanation would be more clear that during the init/exit wmsrl_on_cpu()
> and other wise wmsrl is the one to be used.

So to me "initialization and cleanup" means exactly "init/exit", so I don't
think it really needs to be more clear than that.

I've added a line about making things consistent between Core and Atom to the
changelog, BTW. Please have a look at it in my tree.

Thanks,
Rafael