Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf/x86/cqm: Fix CQM handling of grouping events into a cache_group

From: Vikas Shivappa
Date: Mon Mar 21 2016 - 14:14:36 EST

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Matt Fleming wrote:

Commit-ID: a223c1c7ab4cc64537dc4b911f760d851683768a
Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/a223c1c7ab4cc64537dc4b911f760d851683768a
Author: Vikas Shivappa <vikas.shivappa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
AuthorDate: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:32:07 -0800
Committer: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx>
CommitDate: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:08:18 +0100

perf/x86/cqm: Fix CQM handling of grouping events into a cache_group

Currently CQM (cache quality of service monitoring) is grouping all
events belonging to same PID to use one RMID. However its not counting
all of these different events. Hence we end up with a count of zero
for all events other than the group leader.

The reason that was done originally was because reporting for all events
in a group led to duplicate values, since you'd be emitting the same
RMID value multiple times.

Is this no longer a problem?

Before MBM , the below condition was never hit because we had only one event ?

- if (a->hw.target == b->hw.target)
+ if (a->hw.target == b->hw.target) {
+ b->hw.is_group_event = true;

We are trying to address this for cases where different MBM(local or total) and cqm events are grouped into one RMID.

Which is the case which led to duplicate values ?

Thanks,
Vikas