Re: Nonterministic hang during bootconsole/console handover on ath79

From: Matthias Schiffer
Date: Wed Mar 23 2016 - 22:09:49 EST

>> autoconfig_16550a() is doing all kinds of weird checks to detect different
>> hardware by writing a lot of register values which are documented as
>> reserved in the AR7242 datasheet (there's a leaked version going around
>> that can be easily googled...), no idea if any of those are problematic.
>> Just setting UPF_FIXED_TYPE as suggested by Peter would avoid that code
>> altogether.
>
> That's just a debugging patch and not appropriate for permanent use,
> the reason being that this uart is _not_ 16550 compatible (or even 16450
> compatible).
>
> The three options for 8250 driver support for this part are:
> 1. Similar to the debugging patch, set UPF_FIXED_TYPE but set port type
> to PORT_8250 instead. This will lose FIFO support so 115K won't be
> possible and likely neither will 38400.
>
> 2. Set UPF_FIXED_TYPE but define a new PORT_* value and add support for
> this PORT_* value to uart_config array, uapi headers, and anywhere
> the scratch register is used.
>
> 3. As with 2. above but don't set UPF_FIXED_TYPE and add a probe function
> that detects ports of this type to autoconfig(). I don't recommend this
> method.
>
> This requirement is independent of fixing prom_putchar_ar71xx().

I can send patches for all of this, and I think that 2. would be the nicest
solution. I've noticed though that include/uapi/linux/serial_core.h is
experiencing a little "overflow": PORT_MAX_8250 has grown just below the
first non-8250 entry. Should I just add the new entry at the bottom (and
thus grow the uart_config array by ~85 unused entries)? What about
PORT_MAX_8250 (used at least in drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_of.c)?

Regards,
Matthias