Re: [GIT PULL] Ceph updates for 4.6-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 26 2016 - 17:33:13 EST

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This really is a result of a miscommunication between us and Al.
> Lesson learned. Please reconsider and pull.

No.

If you guys rebase, I don't pull.

Stop rebasing. Really.

STOP REBASING.

There are no excuses. Just stop doing it. I'll handle the merge
issues. If there are complicated merge problems that you really worry
about, what you can do is

(a) make a test-merge just to check

(b) do NOT send me that test-merge

(c) as part of the pull request, tell me that "there's a conflict
because xyz, and this is how we think it should be handled".

Because I'm really getting f*cking tired of having to get rebased
trees that don't match -next for no good reason every single merge
window.

So I'm done with it.

Let me repeat that one more time:

If you rebase during the merge window without having a damn good
reason, don't expect me to pull the end result.

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand.

There are valid reasons to rebase, but those are along the line of "we
messed up catastrophically, and we _have_ to clean up the history".

A simple merge conflict due to a trivial duplicated commit is not a reason.

Linus