Re: [intel-pstate driver regression] processor frequency very high even if in idle

From: Srinivas Pandruvada
Date: Wed Mar 30 2016 - 18:18:20 EST

On Wed, 2016-03-30 at 23:41 +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Intel-PState-Driver here with v4.6-rc1 and Intel-
> SandyBridge-CPU.
>
> Here are my turbostat results attached.
>
> $ cd $BUILD_DIR
> $ LC_ALL=C make -C tools/ turbostat
>
> $ sudo ./turbostat -i 1 --msr=0x199 --debug --out
> /tmp/turbostat-i-1-msr-0x199-debug.txt
>
> Will try <https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8702071/>.
>
> Please see attached files.

Thanks. Your logs make sense. You have config set to performance mode
by default (Which I believe default in all kernel Ubuntu). So as
expected Intel P state was asking for max. So there is no issue here.

I would expect the same in Jorg's platform. But he has a haswell which
has a special feature called config TDP. So he is effectively running
in powersave mode, his platform may be forcing to lower TDP.

So Jorg, can you send the turbostate also with the above debug option.
Also

rdmsr 0xce
rdmsr 0x1ad
rdmsr 0x648