Re: [regression] cross core scheduling frequency drop bisected to 0c313cb20732

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sun Apr 10 2016 - 16:25:01 EST

On Sun, 2016-04-10 at 17:39 +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-04-09 at 14:31 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > g>
> > wrote:

> > > Just for my elucidation; how can gov=performance have a 'power'
> > > regression?
> > Because of what is used as the "default" idle state most of the
> > time.
> >
> > C1 was used before 4.5 and that changed to polling in 4.5.
> Should the default idle state not then be governor dependent?ÂÂWhen I
> set gov=performance, I'm expecting box to go just as fast as it can
> go
> without melting.ÂÂDoes polling risk CPU -> lava conversion?

Current CPUs can only have some cores run at full speed
(turbo mode) if other cores are idling and/or running at
lower speeds.

It may be time to stop pretending that gov=performance
actually results in better performance on current CPUs,
since it may inhibit entire levels of turbo mode.

--
All Rights Reversed.