Re: Nokia N900 retention mode in v4.6, camera buttons fun

From: Tony Lindgren
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 12:31:09 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> [160412 05:31]:
> Hi!

> > > During idle, both should go off and are doing so for me. Both LEDs off
> > > indicates off mode, left LED off is for retention mode. So you still
> > > have something blocking off mode, maybe check:
> > >
> > > echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode
> >
> > What is the power difference between retention and off? I'm now down
> > to cca 25mA, which should be around 50 hours standby time. Not ideal,
> > but should be usable.

The 25mA sounds way too big to me even for retention mode, some
devices must be still on.

The off mode makes a huge difference for standby time, it should cut
down the total power consumption to something like 10+ mW with modem
enabled. Aproximately the breakdown is roughly: 900 uW for omap, 5 mW
for memory and 5 or more for the modem. Sorry I don't know the exact
numbers for the modem. But with 37xx torpedo, mainline kernel is
already getting very close to the 900 uW + 5 mW numbers for the CPU
module during idle measured from the ina219 shunt on the torpedo devkit.

> > In the meantime, I found what is causing the rention mode to break for
> > me: CONFIG_HSI (aka wireless modem support). With HSI off, it seems to work.
> >
> > I still get problems with the camera button, in config similar to
> > defconfig. For some reason, I'm even getting (autorepeating) ^@ on
> > console. As long as I hold camera button down, I even get it into off
> > mode for brief period.
>
> Ok, if I turn off CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO, I get it into off
> mode... once per screen blank, for about a second. (Does CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO also cause
> problems for you?)
>
> Any idea why it enters off mode only once after each screenblank?

After disabling CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING, loading the LCD modules, and
blanking the screen, my n900 hits off mode just fine about once
a second. Sounds like you still have some extra devices enabled
causing it.

With LCD enabled, both LEDs are on contantly. I think we should
be able to hit retention in that state, at least n950 is doing it
with the Nokia kernel.

Regards,

Tony