Regression of v4.6-rc vs. v4.5: hangs after a few minutes after boot

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue Apr 26 2016 - 15:00:33 EST

Hi,

v4.6-rc solidly hangs after a short while after boot, login to X11, and
doing nothing much remarkable on the just brought up X desktop.

Hardware: x86-64, E3-1245 v3 (Haswell),
mainboard Supermicro X10SAE,
using integrated Intel graphics (HD P4600, i915 driver),
C226 PCH's AHCI and USB 2/3, ASMedia ASM1062 AHCI,
Intel LAN (i217, igb driver),
several IEEE 1394 controllers, some of them behind
PCIe bridges (IDT, PLX) or PCIe-to-PCI bridges (TI, Tundra)
and one PCI-to-CardBus bridge (Ricoh)

kernel.org kernel, Gentoo Linux userland

1. known good: v4.5-rc5 (gcc 4.9.3)
known bad: v4.6-rc2 (gcc 4.9.3), only tried one time

2. known good: v4.5.2 (gcc 5.2.0)
known bad: v4.6-rc5 (gcc 5.2.0), only tried one time

I will send my linux-4.6-rc5/.config in a follow-up message.

In theory I could collect more info (simplify the hardware, run
netconsole, bisect). In practice I cannot do so for the the time being
due to lack of spare time. That's also the reason why I did not already
send a report when I tested v4.6-rc2, and why I did not boot v4.6-rc[25]
more than once yet.
--
Stefan Richter