Re: [RFC v2 5/8] drm/fence: add in-fences support

From: Greg Hackmann
Date: Tue Apr 26 2016 - 16:48:11 EST

On 04/26/2016 01:05 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 09:55:06PM +0300, Ville SyrjÃlà wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:23:46PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:40:45PM +0300, Ville SyrjÃlà wrote:
But really the reason for per-plane is hw composer from
Android. I don't see any point in designing an api that's needlessly
different from what the main user expects (even if it may be silly).

What are they doing that can't stuff the fences into an array
instead of props?

The hw composer interface is one in-fence per plane. That's really the
major reason why the kernel interface is built to match. And I really
don't think we should diverge just because we have a slight different
color preference ;-)

As long as you end up with a pile of fences somehow it'll work.
-Daniel

The relationship between layers and fences is only fuzzy and indirect though. The relationship is really between the buffer you're displaying on that layer, and the fence representing the work done to render into that buffer. SurfaceFlinger just happens to bundle them together inside the same struct hwc_layer_1 as an API convenience.

Which is kind of splitting hairs as long as you have a 1-to-1 relationship between layers and DRM planes. But that's not always the case.

A (per-CRTC?) array of fences would be more flexible. And even in the cases where you could make a 1-to-1 mapping between planes and fences, it's not that much more work for userspace to assemble those fences into an array anyway.