Re: mm: pages are not freed from lru_add_pvecs after process termination

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Wed Apr 27 2016 - 13:11:11 EST

On 04/27/2016 10:01 AM, Odzioba, Lukasz wrote:
> Pieces of the puzzle:
> A) after process termination memory is not getting freed nor accounted as free

I don't think this part is necessarily a bug. As long as we have stats
*somewhere*, and we really do "reclaim" them, I don't think we need to
call these pages "free".

> I am not sure whether it is expected behavior or a side effect of something else not
> going as it should. Temporarily I added lru_add_drain_all() to try_to_free_pages()
> which sort of hammers B case, but A is still present.

It's not expected behavior. It's an unanticipated side effect of large
numbers of cpu threads, large pages on the LRU, and (relatively) small
zones.

> I am not familiar with this code, but I feel like draining lru_add work should be split
> into smaller pieces and done by kswapd to fix A and drain only as much pages as
> needed in try_to_free_pages to fix B.
>
> Any comments/ideas/patches for a proper fix are welcome.

Here are my suggestions. I've passed these along multiple times, but I
guess I'll repeat them again for good measure.

> 1. We need some statistics on the number and total *SIZES* of all pages
> in the lru pagevecs. It's too opaque now.
> 2. We need to make darn sure we drain the lru pagevecs before failing
> any kind of allocation.
> 3. We need some way to drain the lru pagevecs directly. Maybe the buddy
> pcp lists too.
> 4. We need to make sure that a zone_reclaim_mode=0 system still drains
> too.
> 5. The VM stats and their updates are now related to how often
> drain_zone_pages() gets run. That might be interacting here too.

6. Perhaps don't use the LRU pagevecs for large pages. It limits the
severity of the problem.