Re: [RFC v2 5/8] drm/fence: add in-fences support

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Thu Apr 28 2016 - 13:43:21 EST

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Ville SyrjÃlÃ
<ville.syrjala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - better for tracing, can identify the buffer/fence promptly
>
> Can fences be reused somehow while still attached to a plane, or ever?
> That might cause some oddness if you, say, leave a fence attached to one
> plane and then do a modeset on another crtc perhaps which needs to turn
> the first crtc off+on to reconfigure something.

Fences auto-disappear of course and don't stick around when you
duplicate the drm_plane_state again. I still don't really get the real
concerns though ... In the end it's purely a transport question, and
both ABI ideas work out semantically exactly the same in the end. It's
just that at least in my opinion FENCE_FD prop is a lot more
convenient.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter