Re: [GIT PULL for v4.6-rc1] media updates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 04 2016 - 13:58:24 EST

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Just as a cross-check, this (incomplete, but au0828, cx231xx and em28xx
> aren't needed/ loaded on my system) crude revert avoids the problem for
> me on v4.6-rc6-113-g83858a7.

Hmm.

That just open-codes __media_device_usb_init().

The main difference seems to be that __media_device_usb_init() ends up
having that

#ifdef CONFIG_USB
#endif

around it.

I think that is bogus.

What happens if you replace that #ifdef CONFIG_USB in
__media_device_usb_init() with

#if CONFIG_USB || (MODULE && CONFIG_USB_MODULE)

or alternatively just build with USB compiled in?

Mauro: that __media_device_usb_init() thing does seem to be completely
buggered for the modular USB case.

Linus