Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

From: Markus Heiser
Date: Fri May 06 2016 - 06:06:00 EST

Hi Mauro,

Am 04.05.2016 um 18:15 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Em Wed, 4 May 2016 11:34:08 +0200
> Markus Heiser <markus.heiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> Hi all, (hi Jonathan, please take note of my offer below)
>>
>> Am 03.05.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@xxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> So sounds like moving ahead with rst/sphinx is the option that should
>>> allow us to address everyone's concerns eventually? Of course the
>>> first one won't have it all (media seems really tricky), ...
>>
>> BTW: Mauro mentioned that ASCII-art tables are not diff-friendly ...
>> For this, I wrote the "flat-table" reST-directive, which adds
>> missing cells automatically:
>>
>> doc: http://return42.github.io/sphkerneldoc/articles/table_concerns.html#flat-table
>> source: https://github.com/return42/sphkerneldoc/blob/master/doc/extensions/rstFlatTable.py
>
> Yeah, this should address the lack of a proper way to markup cell/row
> spans, providing the additional bits for the tables we have at media.
>
> Yet, there are some issues with table conversions. See below.
> Some tables, like the one here:
> https://return42.github.io/sphkerneldoc/books/linux_tv/media/v4l/control.html
>
> are truncated (tested with Mozilla and Chrome), and part of the information is
> lost due to that.

Not a problem of rendering. This was a bug in the magration from DocBook to reST.
You might remember that we have discussed, that some of the tables are better
marked-up as definition lists. This was (the last) one I forgot to convert to
a definition list ... I hope it was the last one, if not and you find more
or other broken parts, please inform me (on the linux-tv mailing, or direct).

--Markus--