Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

From: Jani Nikula
Date: Fri May 06 2016 - 11:07:44 EST

On Fri, 06 May 2016, Markus Heiser <markus.heiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> @Jonathan: what do you think? Should I prepare a patch
> with a basic reST (sphinx) build infrastructure, including
>
> * a folder for sphinx docs:
>
> ./Documentation/sphinx/

I'm already working on a patch series taking a different approach. I
don't think we should hide the documentation under an extra folder named
after a tool. Actually, I'm strongly opposed to that.

Instead, we should place the Sphinx stuff directly under Documentation,
and have Sphinx recursively pick up all the *.rst files. We should
promote gradually switching to lightweight markup and integration of the
documents into one system. This process should be as little disruptive
as possible.

If someone wants to convert a .txt document to .rst and get it processed
by Sphinx, it should be as simple as renaming the file, doing the
necessary edits, and adding it to a toctree. Imagine gradually
converting the files under, say, Documentation/kbuild. Why should the
.rst files be moved under another directory? They should stay alongside
the .txt files under the same directory. There's bound to be a lot of
people who'll never use Sphinx, and will expect to find the good old
plain text files (albeit with some markup) where they always were.

BR,
Jani.