Re: [GIT] Networking

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 17 2016 - 21:00:14 EST

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Highlights:

Lowlights:

1) the iwlwifi driver seems to be broken

My laptop that uses the intel 7680 iwlwifi module no longer connects
to the network. It fails with a "Microcode SW error detected." and
spews out register state over and over again.

The last thing it says before falling over is:

wlp1s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
wlp1s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)
wlp1s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 2/3)

and then it goes all titsup.

I thought that it might be because I had downloaded one of the daily
firmware versions (it calls itself iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode, but isn't a
real release afaik - but it has worked fien for me before), but the
problem persists with the ver-16 ucode too, so that wasn't it.

I haven't bisected it, but there is absolutely nothing odd in my hardware.

I do have a 802.11ac network, which apparently not everybody does,
judging by previous bug-reports of mine..

Intel iwlwifi people: please check this out.

Linus