Re: [RFC v1 2/2] mm: SLUB Freelist randomization

From: Joonsoo Kim
Date: Thu May 19 2016 - 22:16:15 EST

> I ran the test given by Joonsoo and it gave me these minimum cycles
> per size across 20 usage:

I can't understand what you did here. Maybe, it's due to my poor Engling.
Please explain more. You did single thread test? Why minimum cycles
rather than average?

> size,before,after
> 8,63.00,64.50 (102.38%)
> 16,64.50,65.00 (100.78%)
> 32,65.00,65.00 (100.00%)
> 64,66.00,65.00 (98.48%)
> 128,66.00,65.00 (98.48%)
> 256,64.00,64.00 (100.00%)
> 512,65.00,66.00 (101.54%)
> 1024,68.00,64.00 (94.12%)
> 2048,66.00,65.00 (98.48%)
> 4096,66.00,66.00 (100.00%)

It looks like performance of all size classes are the same?

> I assume the difference is bigger if you don't have RDRAND support.

What does RDRAND means? Kconfig? How can I check if I have RDRAND?

> Christoph, Joonsoo: Do you think it would be valuable to add a CONFIG
> to disable additional randomization per new page? It will remove
> additional entropy but increase performance for machines without arch
> specific randomization instructions.

I don't think that it deserve another CONFIG. If performance is a matter,
I think that removing additional entropy is better until it is proved that
entropy is a problem.

Thanks.