Re: Crash in -next due to 'drivers/of: Fix depth when unflattening devicetree'

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Fri May 20 2016 - 05:18:14 EST

On 05/19/2016 07:47 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

some of my ppc qemu tests crash with the following log message.

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
0100 4096 ram0 (driver?)
0101 4096 ram1 (driver?)
0102 4096 ram2 (driver?)
0103 4096 ram3 (driver?)
0104 4096 ram4 (driver?)
0105 4096 ram5 (driver?)
0106 4096 ram6 (driver?)
0107 4096 ram7 (driver?)
0108 4096 ram8 (driver?)
0109 4096 ram9 (driver?)
010a 4096 ram10 (driver?)
010b 4096 ram11 (driver?)
010c 4096 ram12 (driver?)
010d 4096 ram13 (driver?)
010e 4096 ram14 (driver?)
010f 4096 ram15 (driver?)
1600 8383 hdc driver: ide-gd
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

A complete boot log is available at
http://kerneltests.org/builders/qemu-ppc-next/builds/408/steps/qemubuildcommand/logs/stdio

Bisect points to commit 'drivers/of: Fix depth when unflattening devicetree'.
Reverting this commit fixes the problem. Bisect log is attached.

I've pushed out a fix this morning with an updated version of that
patch [1]. Please test.

The problem is no longer seen in next-20160520.

Thanks,
Guenter