Re: S3 resume regression [1cf4f629d9d2 ("cpu/hotplug: Move online calls to hotplugged cpu")]

From: Ville Syrjälä
Date: Thu May 26 2016 - 14:32:22 EST

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:24:24AM +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 01:14:42AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > So I did a bunch of that and found that it gets stuck somewhere
> > > around executing the _WAK method:
> > > platform_resume_noirq
> > > acpi_pm_finish
> > > acpi_leave_sleep_state
> > > acpi_hw_sleep_dispatch
> > > acpi_hw_legacy_wake
> > > acpi_hw_execute_sleep_method
> > > acpi_evaluate_object
> > > acpi_ns_evaluate
> > > acpi_ps_execute_method
> > > acpi_ps_parse_aml
> > >
> > > It also seesm that adding a few TRACE_RESUME()s or an msleep() right
> > > after enable_nonboot_cpus() can avoid the hang, sometimes.
> > >
> > > I've attached the DSDT in case anyone is interested in looking at it.
> > >

> > What if you comment out the execution of _WAK (line 318 of
> > drivers/acpi/acpica/hwsleep.c in 4.6)? Does that make any difference?
>
> Indeed it does. Tried with acpi_idle and intel_idle, and both appear to
> resume just fine with that hack.
>
> - acpi_hw_execute_sleep_method(METHOD_PATHNAME__WAK, sleep_state);
> + //acpi_hw_execute_sleep_method(METHOD_PATHNAME__WAK, sleep_state);
> + printk(KERN_CRIT "skipping _WAK\n");

Continuing with my detective work a bit, I decided to hack the DSDT a
bit to see if I can narrow the it down further, and looks like I found
it on the first guess. The following change stops it from hanging.

@ -5056,7 +5056,7 @@
If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
{
Store (0x01, \SPNF)
- TRAP (0x46)
+ //TRAP (0x46)
P8XH (0x00, 0x03)
}

So what does that do? Let's see:

OperationRegion (IO_T, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x10)
Field (IO_T, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
Offset (0x08),
TRP0, 8
}

OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x3F5E0C7C, 0x0200)
Field (GNVS, AnyAcc, Lock, Preserve)
{
OSYS, 16,
SMIF, 8,

Method (TRAP, 1, Serialized)
{
Store (Arg0, SMIF) /* \SMIF */
Store (0x00, TRP0) /* \TRP0 */
Return (SMIF) /* \SMIF */
}

and a dump of the IOTR registers shows:

0x1e80: 0x0000fe01
0x1e84: 0x00020001
0x1e98: 0x000c0801
0x1e9c: 0x000200f0

which seems to be telling me that ports 0x800-0x80f and
0xfe00-0xfe03 would trigger an SMI.

So the next question is how do the idle drivers and cpu hotplug
fit into this picture. Do we need to force the second HT into
a specific C state before the SMI or something?

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC