Re: [RFC 00/18] Present useful limits to user

From: Konstantin Khlebnikov
Date: Sat Jun 18 2016 - 10:46:09 EST

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2016-06-14 15:03, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
>>
>> I don't like the idea of this patchset.
>>
>> All limitations are context dependent and that context changes rapidly.
>> You'll never dump enough information for predicting future errors or
>> investigating reson of errors in past. You could try to reproduce all
>> kernel logic but model always will be aproximate.
>
> It's still better than what we have now, and there is one particular use for
> the cgroup stuff that I find intriguing, you can create a cgroup, populate
> it, set no limits, and then run a simulated workload against it and see how
> it reacts. This in general will probably provide a better starting point
> for what to actually set the limits to than just making an arbitrary guess.
> Certain applications in particular come to mind which will just hang when
> they can't start a new thread or process (Dropbox is particularly guilty of
> this). In such cases, setting the limit too low doesn't result in a crash,
> it results in the program just not appearing to work yet still running
> otherwise normally.
>
> In general, I could see the rlimit stuff being in the same situation, it's
> not for figuring out why something failed (good software will tell you
> somewhere), but figuring out limits so it doesn't fail but still is
> reasonably contained. A lot of things that seem at face value like they
> shouldn't need specific exceptions to limits do. Most normal users probably
> wouldn't guess that acpid needs a RLIMIT_NPROC count of at least 4 or more
> to work with the default rules. Similarly, there's probably not many normal
> users who know that the Dropbox daemon spawns an insanely large thread pool
> and preallocates significant amounts of memory and will just hang if either
> of these fail. By having a way to get running max counts of resource usage,
> it makes it easier for people to know what the minimum limit they need to
> put on something is.

Rlimits work only if resource usage could be estimated apriori.
They allows app limit itself to prevent failures is something goes wrong.

Rlimits are useless for controlling resource destribition: just use
cgroups for that.

>> If you want to track origin of failures in user space applications when it
>> hits
>> some limit you should track errors. For example rlimits and other
>> limitation
>> subsystems could provide resonable amount of tracepoints which could
>> tell what exactly happened before error. If you need highwater of some
>> values you could track it in userspace, or maybe tracing subsystem could
>> provide postpocessing for tracepoint parameters. Anyway, systemtap and
>> other monsters can do this right now.
>
> Userspace tracking of some things just isn't practical. Take RLIMIT_NPROC
> for example. There's not really any reliable way to track this from
> userspace without modifying the process which is being tracked, which is not
> a user friendly way of doing things, and in some cases is functionally
> impossible for an end user to do.

You cannot get reliable upper bound for nr-proc from black box observations.
Highwater mark is very racy - tiny timing shifts can change it drammaticaly.