Re: Warning when compiling DTB on X-Gene platform with dtc 1.4.1-g53bf130b

From: Andrew Lunn
Date: Tue Jun 21 2016 - 09:25:31 EST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 02:02:44AM -0700, Duc Dang wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I got warning on unit_address_vs_reg similar to this
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/7/43 when using v4.7-rc2 dtc to build dtb
> for X-Gene Mustang:
>
> dhdang@xgene-next=>./scripts/dtc/dtc -O dtb -R 16 -o mustang.dtb
> arch/arm64/boot/dts/apm/apm-mustang.dts
> Warning (unit_address_vs_reg): Node /soc/reboot@17000014 has a unit
> name, but no reg property
> Warning (unit_address_vs_reg): Node /memory has a reg or ranges
> property, but no unit name
> Warning (unit_address_vs_reg): Node /gpio-keys/button@1 has a unit
> name, but no reg property
>
> There are nodes that I cannot change the node-name due to backward
> compatible with old firmware reason (/soc/reboot@17000014 as an
> example). Is there any other way to avoid the warning?

I think you have that backwards around. The Kernel needs to be
backwards compatible with old DT blobs. DT blobs don't generally need
to be backwards compatible to older kernels.

However, the kernel should however be happy with or without the unit
name. The unit name is pointless in this case.

Andrew