Re: [Ksummit-discuss] 2016 Kernel Summit Planning Kickoff

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sat Jul 09 2016 - 16:47:42 EST

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 03:06:07PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Last year we had the invite-only session on the 3rd day and what I heard
> > from some people that was considered better. People had a chance to
> > already solve several things upfront and the invite-only day had less
> > issues to discuss. Not sure if this can be changed and if the majority
> > of people agree with that conclusion.
>
> I think that only worked because Korea Linux Forum preceded KS so we
> had shared talks first. We'd have to swap KS and Plumbers and I'd
> guess it is too late now.

The Korea Linux Forum is a much shorter conference, so holding it
afterwards probably worked better. With conferences that are longer
and/or more intense, we've gotten complaints from Kernel Summit
attendees that by the time the invite-only day happened at the
tail-end of the week meant that people were pretty brain-fried by
then. This would have been especially true with the Linux Plumbers
Conference, which throws a very nice party at the very end of the
conference --- with an open bar, no less. (What this might mean if we
tried to hold the Kernel Summit invite-only day afterwards is left to
imagination of the gentle reader. :-)

People will be very much encouraged to stay for all of the Plumbers
Conference, and not just because the party at the end of the week.
There's no rule that says we have to make all of our decisions on the
invite-only day. In fact, it may be good for decisions to be
discussed with the wider LPC community before we make a final
decision. That's why we'll have spare slots in reserve for people to
schedule topic-specific discussions on Wednesday and Thursday.

Cheers,

- Ted