Re: [tip:x86/boot] x86/KASLR: Fix boot crash with certain memory configurations

From: Baoquan He
Date: Sun Jul 10 2016 - 05:10:05 EST

Hi Ingo,

I am sorry the previous post didn't contain formal patch log. I made a
new one as below. The boot crash could not only happen with certain
memory. Because of this code bug the regions which need be avoided like
the zipped kernel with its unzipping running code, initrd, kernel
command line could be corrupted if mem_avoid_overlap() can't find the
overlap region with the lowest address. But it's very lucky that
Xiaolong's system which has only 300M memory can always reproduce it.
I checked the boog log and found on his system no any other slot can be
chosen except for the original one. If we have a system with large memory
it may not be easy to hit it, at least with low probability since there
are many candidate slots.