Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the luto-misc tree

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Fri Jul 15 2016 - 11:56:49 EST

Em Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 05:29:37PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra escreveu:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:24:36PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> > Seems ok, but I'll reinstate this:
> >
> > #if BITS_PER_LONG != __BITS_PER_LONG
> > #error Inconsistent word size. Check asm/bitsperlong.h
> > #endif
>
> Confuses me; why do we have two?
>
> Why not then do:
>
> #define BITS_PER_LONG __BITS_PER_LONG
>
> and be done with it?

Well, I just kept existing kernel practice, it uses __BITS_PER_LONG in
uapi files and BITS_PER_LONG elsewhere, since we copy stuff from the
kernel and check when it drifts using diff, I kept it like that so that
automation could point us when the tools/ copy drifted from the original
file.

- Arnaldo