Re: Changed: sunxi-ng clock code - NKMP clock implementation is wrong

From: OndÅej Jirman
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 07:27:29 EST

Hi Maxime,

I don't have your sunxi-ng clock patches in my mailbox, so I'm replying
to this.

On 26.7.2016 08:32, Maxime Ripard wrote:

>>> That would have the benefit of being quite easy to document, not be a
>>> huge amount of code and it would work on all the CPUs PLLs we have so
>>> far, so still, a pretty big win. If it doesn't, of course, we don't
>>> really have the choice.
>>
>> It's probably more code though. It has to access different register from
>> the one that is already defined in dts, which would add a lot of code
>> and require dts changes. The original patch I sent is simpler than that.
>
> Why?
>
> You can use container_of to retrieve the parent structure of the clock
> notifier, and then you get a ccu_common structure pointer, with the
> CCU base address, the clock register, its lock, etc.
>
> Look at what is done in drivers/clk/meson/clk-cpu.c. It's like 20 LoC.
>
> I don't really get why anything should be changed in the DT, or why it
> would add a lot of code. Or maybe we're not talking about the same
> thing?

I've looked at the new CCU code, particularly ccu_nkmp.c, and found that
it very liberally uses divider parameters, even in situations that are
out of spec compared to the current code in the kernel.

In the current code and especially in the original vendor code, divider
parameters are used as last resort only. Presumably because, of the
inherent trouble in changing them, as I described to you in other email.

The new ccu code uses dividers often and even at very high frequencies,
which goes against the spec.

In the vendor code M is never anything else but 0, and P is used only
for frequencies below 288MHz, which matches the H3 datasheet, which says:

"The P factor only use in the condition that PLL output less than 288
MHz."

Also other datasheets of similar socs from Allwinner state that M should
not be used in production code. So it may be that they either forgot to
state it in the H3 datasheet, or it can be used. In any case, they never
use M in their code, so it may be wise to keep to that.

When I boot with the new CCU code I get this:

PLL_CPUX = 0x00001B21 : M = 2, K = 3, N = 28, P = 1, EN = 0
PLL_CPUX : freq = 1008MHz

Mathematically it works, but it is against the spec.

Also, this:

analyzing CPU 0:
driver: cpufreq-dt
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1 2 3
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0 1 2 3
maximum transition latency: 1.74 ms
hardware limits: 120 MHz - 1.37 GHz
available frequency steps: 120 MHz, 240 MHz, 480 MHz, 648 MHz, 816
MHz, 960 MHz, 1.01 GHz, 1.06 GHz, 1.10 GHz, 1.15 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 1.22
GHz, 1.25 GHz, 1.30 GHz, 1.34 GHz, 1.37 GHz
available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave
performance
current policy: frequency should be within 240 MHz and 240 MHz.
The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency: 24.0 MHz (asserted by call to hardware)

Somehow, the new CCU code sets the CPUX to 24MHz no matter what.

I'm using your pen/clk-rework branch without any other patches that were
later sent to the mailing list.

regards,
Ondrej