Re: [PATCH v2 1/5] ethernet: add sun8i-emac driver
From: LABBE Corentin
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 09:18:43 EST
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:56:12AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:03:16 AM CEST LABBE Corentin wrote:
> > +
> > + /* Benched on OPIPC with 100M, setting more than 256 does not give any
> > + * perf boost
> > + */
> > + priv->nbdesc_rx = 128;
> > + priv->nbdesc_tx = 256;
> > +
> 256 tx descriptors can introduce a significant latency. Can you add
> support for BQL (netdev_sent_queue/netdev_completed_queue) to limit
> the queue size to the minimum?
Done, since setting below 256 give lower performance with iperf.
> I also noticed that your tx_lock() prevents you from concurrently
> running sun8i_emac_complete_xmit() and sun8i_emac_xmit(). Is that
> necessary? I'd think that you can find a way to make them work
I will reworked locking and it seems that no locking is necessary.
I have added the following comment about the locking strategy:
/* Locking strategy:
* RX queue does not need any lock since only sun8i_emac_poll() access it.
* (All other RX modifiers (ringparam/ndo_stop) disable NAPI and so sun8i_emac_poll())
* TX queue is handled by sun8i_emac_xmit(), sun8i_emac_complete_xmit() and sun8i_emac_tx_timeout()
* (All other RX modifiers (ringparam/ndo_stop) disable NAPI and stop queue)
* sun8i_emac_xmit() could fire only once (netif_tx_lock)
* sun8i_emac_complete_xmit() could fire only once (called from NAPI)
* sun8i_emac_tx_timeout() could fire only once (netif_tx_lock) and couldnt
* race with sun8i_emac_xmit (due to netif_tx_lock) and with sun8i_emac_complete_xmit which disable NAPI.
* So only sun8i_emac_xmit and sun8i_emac_complete_xmit could fire at the same time.
* But they never could modify the same descriptors:
* - sun8i_emac_complete_xmit() will modify only descriptors with empty status
* - sun8i_emac_xmit() will modify only descriptors set to DCLEAN
* Proper memory barriers ensure that descriptor set to DCLEAN could not be
* modified latter by sun8i_emac_complete_xmit().
Does I am right ?
Thanks for your review.