Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 16:19:01 EST

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:05:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:
>
> Same lack of diffstat..
>
> There's a reason we have a "git request-pull" helper. You don't have
> to use it (lots of people end up using other things that match their
> workflow better), but you do have to generate something at least as
> good at that.

FWIW, git request-pull is very likely to make complete mess of
diffstat - all it takes is branch started at -rc1, then a merge from
anything started at later point (e.g. Miklos asking to pull ->d_real()
work from his tree into vfs.git, with his branch starting at -rc5).

I've ended up doing git fetch origin; git checkout -b XXX origin; git
merge work.misc; git diff XXX --stat and replacing the mess produced by
git-request-pull with that. It works, of course, but what worries me
is that less obvious mess could've slipped unnoticed. Might make sense
to teach git request-pull to warn about likely bogus diffstat...