Re: Changed: sunxi-ng clock code - NKMP clock implementation is wrong

From: OndÅej Jirman
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 18:01:25 EST

On 28.7.2016 23:00, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi Ondrej,
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:27:05PM +0200, OndÅej Jirman wrote:
>> Hi Maxime,
>>
>> I don't have your sunxi-ng clock patches in my mailbox, so I'm replying
>> to this.
>
> You can find it in the clock maintainers tree:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/clk/linux.git/log/?h=clk-sunxi-ng

>>> Why?
>>>
>>> You can use container_of to retrieve the parent structure of the clock
>>> notifier, and then you get a ccu_common structure pointer, with the
>>> CCU base address, the clock register, its lock, etc.
>>>
>>> Look at what is done in drivers/clk/meson/clk-cpu.c. It's like 20 LoC.
>>>
>>> I don't really get why anything should be changed in the DT, or why it
>>> would add a lot of code. Or maybe we're not talking about the same
>>> thing?
>>
>> I've looked at the new CCU code, particularly ccu_nkmp.c, and found that
>> it very liberally uses divider parameters, even in situations that are
>> out of spec compared to the current code in the kernel.
>>
>> In the current code and especially in the original vendor code, divider
>> parameters are used as last resort only. Presumably because, of the
>> inherent trouble in changing them, as I described to you in other email.
>>
>> The new ccu code uses dividers often and even at very high frequencies,
>> which goes against the spec.
>>
>> In the vendor code M is never anything else but 0, and P is used only
>> for frequencies below 288MHz, which matches the H3 datasheet, which says:
>
> In the vendor code, P is never used either. All the boards we had so
> far don't go that low, so we cannot make any of these assumptions,
> especially since the vendor code has had the bad habit of doing
> something wrong and / or useless in the past.

P is used in the arisc firmware according to the spec for the lower
frequencies.

> However, this implementation is a new thing, and it was using the H3
> precisely because of its early stage of support to use it as a testbed
> for the more established.
>
> If you feel like we should use a different formula to favour the
> multipliers over the dividers (or want to change the class of the CPU
> PLL to an NKM or something else, this is totally doable.

I think the original formula that's currently in the mainline kernel is
better and avoids fiddling with dividers too much.

>> "The P factor only use in the condition that PLL output less than 288
>> MHz."
>
> And the datasheet also had some issues, either misleading or wrong
> comments in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is
> wrong, just that we should not follow it religiously, and that we
> should trust more the experiments than the datasheet.

I can believe that. :) Regardless, I think the reasons given for
avoiding dividers are quite reasonable. It's based on how PLL block
works, not what manual says.

>> Also other datasheets of similar socs from Allwinner state that M should
>> not be used in production code.
>
> Which ones specifically?

A83T for example. You can search for "only for test" phrase.

https://github.com/allwinner-zh/documents/blob/master/A83T/A83T_User_Manual_v1.5.1_20150513.pdf

Those PLLs are a bit different though.

regards,
Ondrej