Re: clocksource_watchdog causing scheduling of timers every second (was [v13] support "task_isolation" mode)

From: Francis Giraldeau
Date: Fri Jul 29 2016 - 14:31:59 EST

I tested this patch on 4.7 and confirm that irq_work does not occurs anymore on
the isolated cpu. Thanks!

I don't know of any utility to test the task isolation feature, so I started
one:

https://github.com/giraldeau/taskisol

The script exp.sh runs the taskisol to test five different conditions, but some
behavior is not the one I would expect.

At startup, it does:
- register a custom signal handler for SIGUSR1
- sched_setaffinity() on CPU 1, which is isolated
- mlockall(MCL_CURRENT) to prevent undesired page faults

The default strict mode is set with:

prctl(PR_SET_TASK_ISOLATION, PR_TASK_ISOLATION_ENABLE)

And then, the syscall write() is called. From previous discussion, the SIGKILL
should be sent, but it does not occur. When instead of calling write() we force
a page fault, then the SIGKILL is correctly sent.

When instead a custom signal handler SIGUSR1:

prctl(PR_SET_TASK_ISOLATION, PR_TASK_ISOLATION_USERSIG |
PR_TASK_ISOLATION_SET_SIG(SIGUSR1)

The signal is never delivered, either when the syscall is issued nor when the
page fault occurs.

I can confirm that, if two taskisol are created on the same CPU, the second one
fails with Resource temporarily unavailable, so that's fine.

I can add more test cases depending on your comments, such as the TLB events
triggered by another thread on a non-isolated core. But maybe there is already
a test suite?

Francis