Re: net: vrf: Handle ipv6 multicast and link-local addresses

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Aug 03 2016 - 16:29:38 EST

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM, David Ahern <dsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/3/16 1:57 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> +static void vrf_ip6_input_dst(struct sk_buff *skb, struct net_device *vrf_dev,
>> The above assignment causes the following compiler warning with
>> m68k-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1:
>>
>> drivers/net/vrf.c: In function âvrf_ip6_input_dstâ:
>> drivers/net/vrf.c:870: warning: initialized field with
>> side-effects overwritten
>> drivers/net/vrf.c:870: warning: (near initialization for âfl6â)
>>
>> Unfortunately I have no idea what it means, nor do I see what's wrong
>> with the code.
>
> no idea. Fields are initialized once and left and right data types are the same.
>
> Can you remove one line at a time? Line 870 is ".flowi6_proto = iph->nexthdr," but all of the flowi6 macros are unique references to unique fields in flowi_common. The flowlabel line you point out is a unique field as well.

The only thing that seems to matter is assigning the result of the call to
ip6_flowinfo() to .flowlabel. Assigning a constant makes the warning go away.

Yeah, the 870 line number is funny, as it doesn't point to the offending line.

> Can you run pahole on file that did compile? e.g.,
>
> pahole -C 'flowi6' net/ipv6/route.o
>
> and get the common struct too:
>
> pahole -C 'flowi_common' net/ipv6/route.o

No output. Perhaps pahole doesn't play well with cross-compiling?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds